Monday, July 25, 2011

Odd dream.

You'd think at nearly 30 years old, I wouldn't have dreams about showing up to class without my homework.  Or being at a new school and wandering around lost, completely incapable of finding a classroom or even asking anyone to help.  My dream schools are pretty awesome, though...and I think that at least in some of the classes I was supposed to be the teacher this time - that's a plus.  I was still totally unprepared, though.  One of the classes was elementary school science, and there were giant table sandboxes everywhere, and plastic dinosaurs and other dino-era things in bags on all the walls.  The walls looked like rocks, and there were palm trees.  It looked a lot like a gift shop, but the sandbox tables were surrounded by stools.  The school was Pre-K through grad school, it seemed.  The student union was this immense mall with crazy architecture.  I've been there before in another dream, except I think then it was just a mall.  It was partially underground, and the lighting was a bit off - some natural, coming in from huge intentional cracks in the walls, most of which had waterfalls, too.... and some coming from dim lights hanging from the ceiling.  It was like an industrial cave, but cozy.  The constant freak out of going to classes late, unprepared, and in some cases not sure if I was the student or the teacher, made it tough to really enjoy the scenery though.  And at one point I almost fell off a ledge into a pond while walking above the union.  It was kinda nice to wake up from that, though :)  Even with the stress, it was a nice dream.  I do blame my mom, though...this was her first day back at work.

And that bothers me.  Year-round school is a good idea in a lot of ways... but it feels wrong.  The first day of school CAN'T be in July.  It doesn't feel right.  It doesn't smell right... there's no back-to-school feel out there!  I was outside yesterday thinking that it's just not the right time of year for this.  Mid-August has a better educational feeling it...July is still summer.  I wonder if there'll be a noticeable difference in the kids... this being their first year of year-round, and being that it's July, I'm guessing they're still mentally on vacation.

If I wonder about the lottery numbers, think I might get a lottery number dream??

No comments:

Post a Comment