Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Post-xmas ramble

Do you ever feel like, maybe...just maybe... you've had 5 or 6 too many lattes? That's about where I am on a daily basis lately...and then around 9 I just crash. Not really sure what the deal is with me. It's not like I'm ever drinking more than one latte in a day.

Xmas was an interesting experience around here. If it weren't for the inevitable crash/burn/die/reformat of the laptop, I'd have some ranting and raving to do about numerous presents...in picture form. :| Sadly, the death of the laptop took with it the photos of my kid loving up his xmas day. I'll give a brief explanation of the bests and worsts...with pics stolen from the internet. Someday I'll have all my software reinstalled on the beast and I'll be able to get the pics of MY kid loving and hating things up here... :)

The most annoying present ever was his evil little Cozy Coupe car by Little Tikes. That beast took me almost 2 hours to assemble. I'm fairly mechanically inclined...typically more than capable of assembling just about any piece of
furniture from a box...even with unintelligible Engrish instructions. This thing was just awful though. My kid sat and laughed at me as I fought with it. Literally. I had to put ALL of my weight on it to get the top pieces in correctly. Also, when putting the back yellow pieces on, the logos were upside down. There was only one way to put the pieces...and yet, the logos were wrong. There are also exposed screws. The door latch isn't exactly secure. The eyes were broken. There isn't a seatbelt... so I know that if I took the bottom out of the car, my kid would slide right out onto the ground. Fun, right? So... I'm not at all a fan of this car. The only thing that keeps me from dousing it in gasoline and dancing around it after lighting it on fire is the fact that my kid really loves it. He babbles at it. He got in and grabbed the wheel - as if he knew exactly what he was doing. It was unbelievably cute.

The next toy I have an issue with is also a Little Tykes toy... the blue convertible swing with yellow ropes. The ropes are WAY too short. A friend and I sawed through a couple chains to add a couple feet to the top in order to make this long enough. The ropes have these metal hooks on the end, making the contraption a one-piece deal.
It's supposed to be a convertible...meaning that it goes from infant to toddler swing - the bar and straps fold under... the problem with that, though, is the rope length. My kid would be dangling more than 4.5ft off the ground had we not hooked it on to chains. Also, the way that the bar and straps are configured, my son's stuck slouching. It pins him down awkwardly and it's difficult to get him into a better position. The last issue I have with it is the straps - they're not quick to get undone. It took me a couple minutes to figure them out and then another minute of awkwardly sticking my fingers into the little holes to hold down a little piece to unlatch them. I suppose that it would be particularly difficult for my kid to get out himself...but still... I'd like a more user-friendly swing. Again, this toy is not a melted pile of goo solely because my kid loves it. He loves it so much that he squeals with joy when he sees it and screams when I take him out of it.

Think that's bad? Nah... the ultimate xmas fail was the Fisher Price Go Baby Go Bat and Wobble Penguin. It was so cute! I was really upset that it only stayed in my house for 20 mins... I had very high expectations for it. Since the boy so loves to hit things, I figured he'd make quick friends with the penguin. He never actually saw the penguin. I got it, inflated it, and the tab refused to stay put in it so it deflated almost instantly. Not THAT bad... but then my mouth started burning. I'd noticed that the penguin smelled a little like chemicals, but figured it wasn't a really big deal. There was a fabric over most of the toy... and I think it was soaked in some kind of industrial poison. The burning in my mouth got worse and I ended up with a rash all around my lips. Have you ever tasted the inside of a glow stick? It was just like that. My mouth hardly came in contact with that fabric. The rash went away pretty quickly, but I wasn't going to risk that with my kid, y'know? Ugh. Such a big disappointment. :( I'm going to hunt down one of those entirely plastic boppy clown toys from the 80s with the bean bag bottom. Those have never given me a rash.

The xmas wins were:
Fisher Price Poppity Pop Train - this little gem held up xmas for quite a while... he refused to open new presents and screamed if it was taken away. He still likes it, though there's less desperation.
Vtech Baby's Learning Laptop - now that he has his own, he only occasionally bangs on mine.
Vtech Dial and Discover Phone - he's really happy about this toy... it hasn't stopped him from going after every other phone, though.
Baby Genius All-in-One Musical Band - LOVE this! I had to take out the toy with sharp parts, but otherwise it's awesome.
Playskool Explore 'n Grow Step Start Walk 'n Ride - he hasn't figured out how to use it, but he loves to sit by it and poke around at it.

And do you know what the absolute biggest win of the season has been?? A stuffed cat that I got for $3 at a museum sale. It was probably made by a little old lady. It had button eyes that I had to cut off... and Oliver looked for them for a while... but he loves that cat. It's the only thing he's ever drug around with him.

Anyway... I should be trying to get this computer back to what it should be :) And what that means is I'm gonna take my baby and go curl up with him in bed...

No comments:

Post a Comment