Sunday, January 6, 2013

A First Sunday

This is the first Sunday that Oliver has spent at his dad's in a while.  It's been odd.  I had a moderate freak out moment in Walmart when I realized my cart contained no kid.  I remembered quick enough that there was no screaming or running around frantically...

Then, for whatever reason (I'm pleading blonde moment) I spent a few hours fairly certain that it was Friday.  I only just realized, for the second time, that it is Sunday.

Anyway... the new year has treated me well so far.  I'm making progress on all of my resolutions :)  Oliver sorted the laundry...and I'm learning that letting go is active rather than passive.  I've been reasonably friendly and open with the people I know...only snapped at one person (who deserved it) and I've had no occasion to bite my tongue...or later regret having done so.  I've only finished reading one book, but have every intention of finishing another today.  I've spent less time on Facebook and, as a result, more time outside.  My hands kind of ache today from excessive yard work yesterday.  I'm sort of fine with that.  Oliver will happily stay outside for as long as I let him...and yard work keeps me occupied while he plays in the dirt.  He actually helped rake yesterday :)  I've dealt with insurance and will be dealing with a doctor in the near future... and as much as I dread it, I'm looking forward to getting it over with.

The I button on my laptop is uneven... kind of sticking.  This is the price I pay for letting Oliver use the laptop.  He really likes his tablet, though...I put a bunch of matching games on it and he is awesome at them :)

The only one of my resolutions that I've made no progress at so far is finishing something.  I can't even find some of my note cards :\  I don't think that finishing happens overnight, though.  I need to learn to focus on one thing at a time.  I had this awesome new idea running around in my head all of last week...I even started outlining.  That idea had cut off the story I was working on previously.  Today one of my textbooks arrived and I got sidetracked by the story that goes with this book.  I'm taking a mythology class to get to know these characters better...and to figure out who'd hate them enough to want them to suffer.  Dieties are fickle and petty, it seems...so probably any of them for any reason. I'm being vague... and I shouldn't be... but it's tough to explain without telling the whole story right now...and it's impossible to do even that, since I don't know the whole story yet :)

Anyway... the projects I'm currently working on, in the order that I started working on them (* means working title): Dead Girl*, Whisper, Apollo and Aysel*.  Whisper is taking up the most of my attention right now, because no one is formally named...and because, of all the plots, it's the least complex and therefore the easiest to write.  Thing is, I can't write until everyone is named.

I've also been giving a lot of thought to the project I started a while back...it continues to give me trouble.  I'm beyond frustrated with it.  And I'm also doubting the name of my main guy.  It suits him, but only one side of him...and I think the name might belong somewhere else, in some other story.  I chose the name, but then changed the direction of the story...slightly...and now the name feels too...earthy.

I spend a lot of time on names.  The wrong name can ruin a story... I'll actually stop reading something if the names piss me off (seriously, don't give all your characters random one-syllable names like Lox and Pim and Gat...I don't care what the setting is, that shit is annoying).

My bread is done...

See, I wasn't even able to focus on one thing for this entry... :)  There's a good chance that I'm hopeless...at least in this respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment