Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I like books

It's been a nice couple weeks since classes have ended.  I'm currently signed up for the web design and intro networking course, as well as both cisco courses.  I'm fairly certain it's time to just drop those cisco courses until I know a bit more about machines.  It's too much money I don't have for such a big risk...gotta get the background in so that I can be successful.  Bleh.  Probably should call the damn school, too...to see if I can get into a fiction writing course.

I am so tired right now...for no good reason.  Oliver went to sleep at 7:30 tonight, which is miraculous, but has left me sitting here with nothing to do.  It's just weird.  He did fairly well at story time today.  He did the craft, and wandered through the story area a couple times.  He only threw a tiny fit.  The more we go, the better he does, though... soooo we'll keep at it :)

Anyway... I'm actually here to talk about reading.  The last couple weeks have been spent playing catch-up.  There's this sense of urgency that comes near the end of semesters...this NEED to devour every book that I WANT to read as quickly as I possibly can...because I know that once the next semester starts, I won't have time to read for pleasure anymore.  The need is stronger this year than it's ever been.  Somehow I think it's because I'm taking a somewhat different approach...while I am reading for pleasure, I'm also reading for research.  As I read, I'm picking apart the story...picking apart all the little details and asking myself why the author did certain things.  I'm thinking about what works...and what doesn't.  In addition to all the YA dystopic fiction, I'm also reading books on writing.  And blogs...and other articles... pretty much anything I can get my virtual hands on.  I've been reading about character-driven vs. plot-driven and how to write good query letters.  It's consuming...in such a good way.

Here are the books I've read so far:
Matched City of Bones (Mortal Instruments)City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments)City of Glass (Mortal Instruments)City of Fallen Angels (Mortal Instruments, Book 4)The Hunger GamesCatching Fire (The Second Book of the Hunger Games)Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3)

I started my summer reading with the Hunger Games trilogy... and I am so beyond in love with the story and the characters.  Collins created characters that mattered.  I really cared about them.  The story was so emotional.  I don't know how many times it made me cry...but I do know that I was completely crushed when I finished the last book.  It wasn't the story, but that it was over.  I've only ever felt that once before - with HP.  These books are amazing  Starting with the best and going on from there may not have been a great decision; everything I read now is just all right.  I actually felt guilty when starting Matched because I felt that it was too soon...like I was betraying the memory of the characters.

Also, since there's going to be a movie (that will no doubt pale in comparison to the books), I feel it necessary to get this out there: TEAM PEETA!

The Mortal Instruments books aren't terrible, but I really feel like City of Fallen Angels was unnecessary... and the next two books will also be unnecessary.  City of Glass ended in a good place...the story felt over.  I have to admit, though, that I read spoilers about the series because there was an element that I found completely disgusting.  I couldn't go on reading...I got almost through City of Bones, but had to know how it ended because...it was gross.  There is just no way I could have kept going otherwise.  I am curious about the new series the author is working on... but not sure I'll get the first book any time soon.

Matched was...bland.  I'll read the next books when they come out, but I'm not eagerly anticipating them.  There was nothing particularly unique about the story or the characters.  The dystopia was pretty average, the characters didn't have much depth, and the love triangle was too plain.  I'm going to keep reading though, because I know the author got a six-figure advance...so it's good research.  I don't think the shallowness of it all would be too noticeable to a 15yr old girl, and since that's the target audience, it's probably a very successful book.

Anyway... Now I'm reading this:
Uglies
I've only read about 50 pages, and I'm not hooked yet.  We'll see.

I want to read this series:
Gregor The Overlander (Underland Chronicles, Book 1)Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane (The Underland Chronicles, Book 2)The Underland Chronicles #3: Gregor and the Curse of the WarmbloodsGregor And The Marks Of Secret (Underland Chronicles, Book 4)Gregor and the Code of Claw (Underland Chronicles, Book 5)
But only because I really like the author...and want to see if these stories and characters are as real and meaningful as those in the Hunger Games.

All this talk of reading has made me want to read...now.  G'night :)

No comments:

Post a Comment