Sunday, September 11, 2011

Faeries are Fun!

I've been a bad, bad blogger as of late... and I am sorry.  Between the kid, the job (at the library...awesome, right?), the classes, and the Kindle, I find myself without the time to waste online... my farm is dead.  I've received complaints due to my lack of Facebook activity.  I suppose it doesn't help that I also got a new phone and it's a bit of a bitch to work with.  Oh well.  I'm sure that in time all will fall into place and I won't feel like falling asleep at 7:30.  This last week I've had an excuse, though.  Thanks to my having spent the better part of the last 3 years at home, my immune system is shot.  I thought I was feeling better, but as it turns out, I'm not... not really.  I'd like a bio-hazard suit...it'd make my day to day interactions with the real world much easier.

So, anyway... the Kindle.  His name is Henry and I love him.  For the longest time I was very anti-ereader.  I always thought that there was something special about having a physical book - something romantic and full of history and meaning - like a paper letter.  No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't imagine myself curled up with an ereader of any kind.  It seemed unnatural.  Henry is perfect, though.  There wasn't even a period during which I found myself trying to turn pages.  Within minutes I was wondering why I hadn't gotten one sooner...  I do still love real books.  I like the smell of a new book...and even some old books (so long as it's JUST book smell...not any of the many interesting fragrances I've had the displeasure to encounter in books...).

The first thing I read on the Kindle was Go the F**k to Sleep.  While it wasn't exactly nice-looking on my little black & white screen, the story was great.  I have a feeling that someday Oliver will outgrow his good sleep phase and I'll really understand the story better.  My kid tells me when he wants to go to bed, and he means it.
Go the F**k to Sleep

After that, I decided to read something with more of a story.  I didn't actually know what I was getting myself into, though.  I read nothing about the books prior to reading them.  All I knew was that the male lead had gone up against a character from another series I've read, and that he lost...but that it was close.  Anyway, had I known it was about faeries, I might not have been so eager.  Anyway...these are the books I read:
The Iron King (Harlequin Teen)The Iron Daughter (Harlequin Teen)The Iron Queen (Harlequin Teen)
The thing that nearly stopped me from reading these books is that they're Harlequin Teen.  Never in my life have I considered reading Harlequin...never...until these.  And guess what?  I wasn't entirely disappointed.  The writing wasn't fantastic, and the majority of the story was predictable, but it was still decent.  I was entertained.  It was nice to know the characters a bit (Oberon and Puck...etc.), and there was a real-enough conflict - technology was killing the Fey...people weren't believing in them, or were forgetting about them.  There's a love triangle, but both guys are pretty desirable.  There's the usual dark *bad* guy and the goofy best friend guy...and it's all very predictable, but still decent.  The first book was probably the best.  I really liked the descriptions of the faery world.  The author tied everything to scents, which was genius.  The spring/summer world smelled warm, like sunshine, grass... and gardens and warmth.  The fall/winter world had a crisp, cold scent, like snow and ice.  It was good world building.  :)  Anyway... I got to the end of book three in what I thought was a trilogy, only to be left unsatisfied...and having to wait until October 25th to find out what happens next.  This story will be from a different perspective, so...I kinda look forward to that.  

Anyway... decent enough books.  Haven't decided if they're library-worthy.  I'll know after reading Iron Prince... :)



No comments:

Post a Comment