Friday, August 19, 2011

About a book...

Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, Book 1)So, I just remembered that I forgot to write about a book.  I feel a little weird writing about a book that isn't completely fresh in my mind, but hey - I liked the book quite a bit :)  It was Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare - book 1 of The Infernal Devices.  I read all the books from the author's previous series, The Mortal Instruments, and liked them.  The series isn't done, but it's decent.  This book, though, promises a series better than the first.  The characters are the ancestors of those in TMI, so in a sense, this is a prequel series.  It's set in the 1800s in London - which I like.  The descriptive writing is great... but I had a love-hate thing with the characters.  I loved them a lot more than those in TMI.  Yet, for a while I was having trouble liking any of them, or the way in which they seemed to be created.  They are all basically the same as those in TMI.  The good-ish girl who doesn't know what she really is but proves herself stronger than anyone suspects, the bad boy she loves who fights off his love for her, and the other boy who has feelings for someone, but we don't know if it's the guy or the girl this time.  Even their personalities were beyond familiar.  I do understand that they're related to characters I already know, but sort of think that it was a bit of a cop-out to make them so much the same.  By the end, though, I loved them.  More than I expected to... but in a more refined way.  The story itself was every bit the urban fantasy I love, but the twist of it also being historical made it even better.  The historical aspect made the love story more complex, too.  While it is YA, and anything terribly sexual is unlikely anyway, the tension of an old-fashioned courtship was pretty great.  They're still teenagers, with raging hormones...but so reserved... so careful.  The book left quite a bit open at the end, though.  I was really angry when it was over, because it's not until December 6th that the next book comes out.  I really wish the publication process were faster.  BUT!  It's really great to have a book I'm looking forward to again!  :)  I really wish I was still awake enough to go into detail about how good this is... but with my state of sleepiness, I'd probably just give everything away.  Then again, it's not like the author gave that much away.  

No comments:

Post a Comment