Sunday, January 16, 2011

Another day..

I realize that I only post here when I have complaints of the monthly variety.  While that is the case this afternoon, I'll abstain...for your sake.

I've been meaning to document this somewhere, before things change and I forget... So... Oliver says "No. Not!" all the time...when he doesn't want to do/have/eat something or go somewhere.  He also says it when he does want something.  I've asked on numerous occasions if he would like a million dollars...he always responds "No. NOT!"  He also says "No I not."  It means the same thing either way... Cute, no?  He also says "thanks" whenever he hands me something.  He's also obsessed with babies.  I'm glad that he's a baby, too...because it might be a little disturbing if someone older was running up to random strollers and saying stuff like "Baby!  Have it.  Push stroller."  Did I mention that he says, "have it" and "see it" a lot?  They mean roughly the same thing, particularly in reference to his grandma.  And...he sings.  :)  He'll sing along with whatever is on the radio...or the Mozart CD.  He also likes one cartoon now - Charlie Brown!  He says "Foopy woo-tock" and I try to comply... but his attention span is still a bit short.  He really only watches the parts with Snoopy and Woodstock.  AND!  One of the cutest things ever...he puts his toys in time out.  He finally understands that it's a punishment...and I guess he has some ill-mannered toys.

Other things... Hm.  Well, life is pretty boring otherwise.  I'm heading down a new path, career-wise.  It's not necessarily one that I'm thrilled by, though from the looks of just the introductory course, I'll at least be challenged.  Computers, here I come!  Be scared...or whatever the computery equivalent to fear of inept operators is...  I used to know a little bit about computers, but have cared about little more than Facebook for so long that I've completely lost touch.  My current text makes me all jittery.  The only time I recall having been challenged thoroughly by a class was...stats.  I ended up really enjoying both stats classes, undergrad and grad, because of the challenge.  I suppose algebra was a challenge, but that was a very long time ago.  I hope that I still have the intellectual agility to learn a new trick...or, at the very least, get over my crippling fear of drivers...or perhaps acquire the patience to refrain from kicking or threatening computers when they don't behave as I want them to (no matter how well that has worked in the past...).  If it doesn't really excite me, why do it, though...?  So that I don't have to move, of course.  Jobs for librarians are few and far between... and most certainly not located in Arizona.  At least not library jobs that pay well.  Someday I'd love to move to Washington state...get a nice job at one of the many, many libraries that hires librarians and offers to PAY them.  For now, though, I think it's best to stick it out in this miserable red state and do what I can for my kid any myself.  If I learn to be a professional geek, at least I'll be increasing my professional marketability.  Whatever the case, it keeps Sallie Mae at bay...

I didn't really make any New Year's resolutions.  They have an insanely high failure rate, and I don't like setting myself up for failure.  :)  BUT!  We had a pretty decent holiday...apart from the pukey virus, which Oliver and I both got.  When I got it, I felt like I was going to die.  When Oliver was sick, he just seemed mildly annoyed by puking.  It made me wonder if super young kids are spared the near-death feelings that come with 24hr puke-fests.  I hope so.  I can't imagine my kid actually feeling that...it was so awful.  Anyway, holiday stuff was typical.  Oliver was spoiled rotten but didn't seem to care.  He got lots of clothes, cars, a giant fire truck, art supplies, Play-Doh and accessories, books, a Power Wheels quad, and even a little bit of candy (which we still have...because I didn't like how much he liked it...).  I'll do another post with specifics and reviews. :)

I wrote all of this, and I really only meant to write about two things: my garden and the things I'm going to get rid of in the next weeks.

First, the garden.  I have a lot of land, time, and curiosity.  I'm planning to start with a relatively small plot...and hopefully expand in the future.  I don't know the current measurements.  I'm going to have to get a bunch of chicken wire to keep out the rabbits.  I already have all the fence posts.  From seeds I'll be planting a few types of lettuce, some peppers, cucumbers, squash, broccoli, green beans, and some other things I can't remember.  I'll be getting little tomato and corn plants to transplant later...and probably some others... It'll depend on what plants are available :)  I'm really most excited to get Oliver his little gardening set so that he can help... he's come out to watch me kill tumbleweeds and he's helped water things since he learned to walk (and he rode along in his pack before then).  We'll see if anything grows :)  I hope to document with pics...

As for getting rid of things...well, I'm going to get rid of 100 things.  I saw this thing on the news the other morning about closet organization.  I'd love to organize my closet, but think I have greater issues to deal with first.  While I did tend to throw out a lot of things each time I move, I still have way too many things.  Why do I have the entire Twilight series??  I'll never read that again... There are so many things I'll never actually use again, and I need to get rid of them.  All the things I've been holding on to for use on future projects need to be used or thrown out now.  The clothes I'll never wear need to go.  At least half of my shoes need to go.  The drawer full of cords and random things needs to be emptied.  The pet supplies for former pets need to go.  I don't know what else there is...but that's sort of the point.  If I don't know I have it, how much do I need it??  Maybe there'll be more than 100 things.  I don't know if they'll just be thrown away, or if I'll sell/trade them.  Maybe I should figure that out!  :)

Anyway, it's a beautiful day... I should be outside dealing with the weeds in my garden area.  Or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment